c

Criticism is something we can avoid easily by saying nothing, doing nothing, and being nothing

Elbert Hubbard

Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Back At It....Literally

The rollercoaster of life never seems to stop. Sometimes your on top of the world. Other times your ass is dragging at the bottom of the barrel. For the those aforementioned times there is a certain delicate balance that can be achieved through obsessive time management. A time management of one's social, physical, emotional needs/skills within one's circle.

Wow, I'm off the soapbox.....At least the deep physiological one...Now to soul dumping

WTF have I been up to...well riding the roller coaster for sure. Came into the season feeling on top of the monster roller coaster. Only to flub up my toe which put me into a spiral or maybe that's a repetitive cycle. Hence the roller coaster. During my two weeks of down time I tweaked my back, nothing new I thought. Wearing the clown shoe set me up for injury. Why? Here's why.
Reach down to grab something BOOM! Sharp pain as in someone putting a hatchet into my sacrum on the left side. Take it easy for a couple days, ditch the clown shoe, get on the bike and things seem to be going good.

First race of the season I do a spectacular crash/save in the sandpit. BOOM, back flares up again. Two weeks of easy does it(along w/criticism) things seem to be fine. Next up Wisco the back is in no better shape. Pull myself out of Sundays race due to the inability to pedal with my left leg. Not happy with my weekend.

Then the day before my escape from the man BOOM, end of the day emergency wire body harness switch the back decides to tell me that wasn't the smartest thing to do. For those that don't know, a wire body harness extends from the front of a car to the rear, carrying all essential electrical connections, grounds, and other such important items to make modern cars run. On top of that the job requires that said harness be removed in a very hurried manner. Actually in a matter of 3 minutes before it enters another area for more complicated assembly.

Wake up in the morning to exit to Ohio 3. Go to put bicycle rack into the hitch BOOM. Absolute lock up of lower back. Spasms as I try to straighten up, take a step, hell do anything! Not good for racing. Manage to get back into the house get an ice pack and into bed. Give the mwi traveling circus a heads up to my sad situation. Contemplate my next move. With much regret, sadness, anger I give up. Send a text that I'm not going to make it.

Make it to work on Monday, barely. Give my team a heads up to my situation. One thing I love about my guys/girl is that we do look out for each other when times are needed. I respect them all for that with loads of appreciation. Monday afternoon make to the Chiropractor's office which I hadn't visited in 13 months. Very proud of my strength/core/FUNctionally training I implemented on myself. I do walk the walk, talk the talk for those that need to know. Dr. Josh gives the "Wow, I haven't seen you this bad in years" speech. Thanks! After some painful manipulation, off I go to put heat/ice for the next hour. Go back Wednesday and Friday for the same treatments. Note I wasn't on the bike during this time, nor lifting, yoga. Nada, nothing, roller coaster in full effect. The next week I come in Monday and Wednesday with improvement enough to decide to ride Thursday night.

Pack up to meet the mwi crew at LouVull. Make it to the park to ride the course. Second ride in two weeks. Great course, rode the sand pit 5 times without any worries. Things seem to be going well. When the race starts reality sets in. I'm out of shape. Oh well, I'm going to enjoy myself. I have a blast riding the course. Third ride in two weeks starts a little better. But only for a couple of laps then that damn thing called reality sets in again. During the weekend I had the opportunity to chat with women from Hudz team which was really nice to get some perspective.

Now I'm back to some form of workouts but still taking it easy. The back is still giving me a heads up its not 100%. But with my new found perspective I'm going to be movin on and off the CX bike.



No comments: