c

Criticism is something we can avoid easily by saying nothing, doing nothing, and being nothing

Elbert Hubbard

Sunday, June 22, 2008

Flog, Flogging, Flogged

Flog:  Pronunciation:\ˈfläg\
             Function:
verb
Etymology:
perhaps modification of Latin flagellare to whip — more at flagellate
Date:
circa 1676
transitive verb1 a: to beat with or as if with a rod or whip b: to criticize harshly2: to force or urge into action : drive  This is the defined by Websters Dictionary
Its quite interesting that flog has such a rich history in our dialect. Who would have every thought of this usage in the cycling world? Not me!
Nowadays cyclists usage is slang to the English tongue.  Where is this going...you might be asking yourself...well, here it is.
A bad day at work causes on to feel like the need to do a FLOG session.
The FLOGGING  session consists of one my real favorite climbing sessions, The Three Hills Loop.  Although this time the dynamics is enhanced by the fact I have a new dashboard to look at.  Now the details are very interesting to look at. 
 First of the hills gradient averages 4% with max at 7%...just the warm up baby.
The second hills gradient averages 6% with max at 10%...feeling warmer baby.
To add the whipped cream to the THL this bad boy throws down at 8% with a max of.....13% Holy Shit Batman, this really hurts.  But remember what goes up must come down, I can hold my own and I fall like a rock. (I always try to pretend I'm Il Falco)  I hit a max speed of 48.5 mph, smoking it, baby.
After getting back home I finally am overcome with the official I'm FLOGGED workout feeling.  Now that's how to get rid of your bad day.  Just a little of the Triple F and bam you forget about your bad day, along with that fact you can't sit, stand, or lay down without hurting.  Now that is the perfect stress reliever!!

No comments: