c

Criticism is something we can avoid easily by saying nothing, doing nothing, and being nothing

Elbert Hubbard

Sunday, October 12, 2008

Avondcross

Grand Prix HPT was a phenomenal  course.  It was laid out in and around the Heartland Park Dirt Oval course.  All under lights, our race started at 7:30pm.  So swweeeettttt!!!!!

The course had everything, expect a long start/finish area.  Maybe 100ft total then right to a slight righthand off camber to a left hander to pavement.  Fifty feet of pavement then bang, straight to dirt right hander.  This put you on the Dirt Oval course from corner to corner, then a tight left hander took you to the bottom of the dirt oval and back around to the infield.  Inside the infield we had a double barrier with plenty of grass corners.  Then we went onto the backside of the dirt oval and ran the back straight till they had interesting dismount unto pallets to get out of the oval then a weird transition to the grass out back of the grandstands.  Behind the stadium we had a little uphill to gravel/pavement straightaway till we hit a set of wooden steps at speed.(Very fun)  After the steps we turned right(180) then left (180) to the finish line.

The only problem I had was this....

Yep, I shattered it in three places.  I didn't change bikes because I was actually running in the top three when it happened.  Then I started noticing that in some parts of the course that it was moving up and down.  After I noticed this I wasn't really motivated to try and switch bikes because I was still sitting in sixth.   I lost some places being conservative in the infield but I could make it up on the dirt oval parts.  I did get to do some NASCAR racing with an old buddy of mine.  JJ, showed up without telling me and I noticed him on the start line.  

About the start line.  I pulled my best Doug Plumer.  From the very last person in staging area to the front row.  Gotta love it!!

So as I notice JJ, we start to rap a little and try to catch up before the race starts.  Wish each other good luck then bang.  The whistle goes off.  I got a bad start and was like 5th or so going into the first turn on grass.  Made up some places on the entrance of the dirt oval.  Sitting third and held that until we entered the infield.  Then bang, some dude from Cycle City ate shit, right in front of me.  I almost ran over his head.  Right after that came the barriers and BANG I hear a pop from some where, I didn't get a smooth landing but I know I'm know I'm not a FAT ARSE!  The saddle didn't really start moving yet but it slowly started working itself fore and aft.
 At this time is when all bets were off and the gloves should have been put on. Some dude from 360 racing checked the F out, and that is no joke.  Right after we got through the infield Chris Tilford on his single speed comes screaming by and SKC, Renaissance kid try to jump on his wheel.  Now things start getting interesting I'm holding my spot really well then at lap 3 I start to feel my early effort of starting to hard.  I sit in and ride tempo and I start to get caught by some fellows. Now I'm sitting in 8th or 9th and trying to minimize damage.  That is until I see JJ fixing his chain on the grass and suddenly some kid tries to pass me on the uphill section leading into the steps.  Well this is where NASCAR mentality takes over.  As we go into the steps I swing from right to left to throw him off his line and pinch him into the long way around the obstacle.  It works but at that time JJ comes to my inside...swwweeeettt.  JJ and I haven't raced against each other in so long I can't remember it's probably been 3 years.  So the fun was one.  On the dirt track I made up the distance to him and closed it down right before the turn down to the bottom of the track.  Then I let him have the old "Hip Check" to the bars to tell him I loved him, tough love baby!  

After that I was starting to pick off the guys that got me while I was being conservative.  It was really fun to be able to start picking off guys after so many laps.   Laps 5-7 I started to feel a real groove but still had to stay light on the saddle due to the fact I didn't want to go to the hospital and have them cut off my mwi kit   while removing shrapnel from my carbon rails.  Try to explain that one to the Dr.  "I was JRA and all of the sudden my arse felt this pain?!"

At the end I pulled a sweet wheelie.  Which did get some hollers from those surrounding the finish line area.

So I have learned one thing from my experiment with cool ass parts.  Be crusty and stick with what you know works.  I will have one of these on the Orb from here on out.

Interestingly enough Bondo and I ran into Zig and he paid for our entry fees for the race.  He even offered to pay for Sundays race, but I didn't go due to the boyz had a rough landing and knocked the air out of me.  This was after I broke the saddle.  The bike jumped up as I was going for the leap of faith and boom...boys meet arione, arione meet boys.  Ouch!

I did get some interesting comments from the crowd on mwi kit.  

#1 That sure is a fancy looking kit.
#2 Go plaid boy go.
#3 I really like your kit, it is very nice looking.

Swwweeeetttt.
BTW, Heeman has thrown down the challenge again.  I will give him credit in the fact that he is getting fast, but it will be age before ugly.  He might even get a little NASCAR shove from someone he doesn't know!  I have started to spread the love already this year.   With only doing one race!!

3 comments:

eforendo said...

Course sounds like it was pretty rad. I'll just sit on your wheel until you break something - then I'll make my move!

CurbDestroyer Chronicles said...

I'll be back!

One Eyed z said...

Those kits do look good.
I was talking to Mike about them at BLVD Cup
He hooked me up with a cap