c

Criticism is something we can avoid easily by saying nothing, doing nothing, and being nothing

Elbert Hubbard

Sunday, August 29, 2010

Pirate Ride & The Man

Todays ride was a planned pirate of a certain ride.

NO stopping at sag's, no edible goodies, no water refills. Self sufficiency was the order of the day. The plan looked good. The day better for a bike ride. Looking at the route something struck my fancy. At one end of the road's was gravel stretch that looked to stretch on for some miles. The only problem those that I 'suckered' into the pirate ride aren't those who know my type of rides. As we approached said road the first reaction was of disbelief that a route would go on gravel(oh shiittee).

But let me regress to the beginning of the pirate ride. 4:30am wake up call. Might as well get use to it I have a date with the man after my little 'break'. Pancakes & egg, oj, vitamens to complete my required caloric intact for the endeavor that was about to be taken. IF you noticed there was NO COFFEE of any sorts digested. My 'idea' is that the local coffee joint would be opened to accept the flood of caffeine addicted cyclists who require that jolt to start the day. ABSOLUTE FAIL on local coffee joint's part closed. Not good. No caffeine, not happy, very crusty would be the call of the day.

To my amazement(computer sarcasm) not a single person showed at mi casa for the predawn launch. The boss stepped up to be my wingwomen. It was much appreciated & enjoyed. ALMOST made up for my lack of coffee. Gotta say leaving the house predawn was a hoot. Rolling through hood to hood with intermittent light drew a shiitttee eating grin from me. As we arrived at the designated assault area waiting for those to show who were taking on the mission of pillage.

As the launch time arrived a few stragglers showed up. Unexpectedly it was only the man. That's right, in all my time at my job I have never been involved in taking the man out on the sport I love so dearly. Heartfelt moment gotta say. The boss went out for just a little spin then spilt leaving me to defend myself against the man. A couple of the man weren't there so call's were made to see what to do next. Well one call stating 'almost' there. We watched as small groups rolled out. Not the expected wave of riders(racers) I've seen at most charity rides. The last of the man showed up, unprepared. No air in tires, no water bottle. Oh, what have I got myself into?
How many of the man does it take to inflate a tire?

THE Boss man, well being the Boss man.


Rolling along with man towing me!

The man making me work!


Final push towards coffee.

Overall the pirate ride was a great time. The man is actually people too. They all gutted it out without any complaints. Even me giving them hard time didn't seem to bother the man to bad. Good because by the sound of it I've suckered them into some more exploration of the Greater Kansas City area. Yes there will be gravel. Yes there will be urban cultural enhancement tour.

I did get my coffee at the end of the ride. Amazingly I got the double macchiato served in a 12oz paper cup. Why do I say amazingly. The barista(because she was behind the machine ONLY do I call her that) asked how if wanted 'two shots of espresso in a cup with milk filled up to here?" Pointing to the top of the cup. My response "No, just a splash in that 12oz paper cup!" Thanks!
Everyone made there ways to their casa's with me finishing off the with another 10miles. Awesome ride completed.

Now I have a date with the man in the morning. suck. Back to the washing machine of life.