c

Criticism is something we can avoid easily by saying nothing, doing nothing, and being nothing

Elbert Hubbard

Sunday, June 28, 2009

Tour of KC-Less Scummit Edition Afternoon 2

After a day of hanging with JJ doing nothing the weather gods decided to play a funny on us.
At about the time we decided to get kitted up the Weather Radio gave us a shout about imminent storms approaching with high winds and hail. What more could you ask for?

As we roll out of the casa it starts to spit on us. I put on my rain protection to start our warm up to the race. You really can't beat a race 4.89 miles from the casa. On our trip out again I worked for JJ making sure that he was out of the wind to save himself for the race. This time I was hoping he would at least sprint. You know that's what I'm there for, the dutiful lieutenant to help out my teammates.

The pro 1/2's wrapped up an exciting as the rain persisted making us find shelter(before it went atomic) behind the barriers to get a good start position. The promoters gave us a free lap to check out the course so the majority of the riders did, some didn't a got the front row. To there amazement the pace car didn't roll through yet so the field had to split and this gave JJ and I the opportunity to get from the back of the field of to the second and third row. Good times.

As we got the start the rain was becoming intermittent just enough to keep the streets wet and roster tails causing the colors on MWI kit to become subdued. Na, not really. I never had a groove for the race but I did enjoy myself riding(note not racing) in the rain. Again I made it about 20min into the 40min crit. Oh well good intensity.

I grabbed a front row seat JJ and K Lew were still alive in the pack. Mixing it up really nicely. The laps counted down JJ made surges back and forth within the group while K Lew was hanging on for dear life. A lone rider made a great move and hung on for first as JJ rolled in 4th. Good thing I kept him out of the wind on the warm up to save it for the end today.

After a little time to sort out the cash(which I didn't get any) we rolled home in really nice weather and got ready to roll out to the Epic. Again Mother Nature decided this wouldn't be a good idea by putting on a amazing lightening show. That cemented the plan would be foiled as we turned tail back home to chilax at the casa and chatted late into the night. Amazing how it seems that after two days we still haven't shared all our stories. Good Times.

Today is the last day of the Tour of KC- Power and Light District. I feel trashed but still ready to go and tackle a true downtown course. Maybe today I can make 30min and still help my boy finish in the top five. If so I should get some cash this time. Some people? If not I might go nuclear.

1 comment:

John Jones said...

So if I roll leisurely to an event on the front I am drilling it and if I roll soft behind you are all of a sudden 'pulling/protecting' - awesome! Your college creative writing professors would be proud (I know I am).