c

Criticism is something we can avoid easily by saying nothing, doing nothing, and being nothing

Elbert Hubbard

Thursday, January 29, 2009

Preparation Is Everything

Laying down the foundation is one thing.

Knowing what your body needs over a duration of an endurance event is another.

Acclimating the body to rigors of equipment to be used during said event is something that becomes essential for said athlete.

So I made my own little "Half Ouachita" to see what needs to be dialed for the event.

Sweet Double Track Loop to start the 'Loop'
It was a little chilly with the NW wind @15-20
A little 'BC' in Misery!
I can't get enough shots of this big fella'
That is truly an understatement.  The picture doesn't give it justice.  Plus this comes off a really steep road that was snow/ice covered.  Very high pucker factor

More double track.

Half way.  Lunch Break.

There is a trail, look really hard.  After this a little bushwackin'

I'm toast.

So what did I learn from my experiment?
1.  My Deuter doesn't need to be so snug.  
2.  I need my sugar's in my system.  I only had one bottle of 'go juice'. But had several gels.  It didn't quite cut it though.  In reading this guy's exploits I need more sugar's to sustain high exertion levels in the aerobic/anaerobic zones.
3. Get a little more acclimated to the rig with the loaded pack.

I'm glad these are easily correctable and will be doing some more of the '1/2 O' to get everything to a "T".  

For my boyz in Wisco here is a little rollerific tunes to keep you entertained while you are inside!

No comments: